3rd Dog Health Workshop Paris, April of 2017... Theme: Behaviour and Welfare
Working Groups: were struck across all the themes in order to increase the likelihood of achieving the desired outcomes. Their goal was to collect and collate information; connect relevant stakeholders; and to outline key issues, goals and challenges to be addressed at the Workshop.
Behaviour and Welfare Group's Focus:
- How can we better integrate concepts of welfare, behaviour and health in breeding and raising dogs?
- Focus on early life / socialization.
Task: create a message that would be sent to kennel clubs to market a positive educational message for the public on reasons to achieve/purchase/sell/breed a well socialized dog.
Priorities to be modeled in the sub-group's message were:
- behavior is part of welfare
- good behavior and health start in utero
- socialization shortly thereafter
- need to develop positive and marketing messages for different audiences
- short, specific, positive messages following a model of 5 freedoms
Message to remain short, global (1 size fitting all) with more information available on the DogWellNet website (presented with consideration of the ID of the reader (breeder, owner, vet, kennel club).
- Work Product - Socialization Posters -
It is intended that other country's Kennel/Breed Clubs would translate this poster to their language, if desired.
A PowerPoint Template file is available on request. Contact us to obtain the Puppy Socialization Poster PowerPoint Template. We would be very pleased to share this poster in your language with the DWN Community!