Belgian Shepherd Dog/ Malinois
- Belgian Shepherd Dog/Malinois
- Belgisk vallhund/ malinois
- Belgian shepherd dog, Malinois
- Berger belge (malinois)
- Chien de Berger Belge/Malinois
- Perro de pastor belga/Malinois
- Belgischer Schäferhund/malinois
- Belgisk Fårehund, Malinois
- National kennel clubs and breed clubs (see, e.g. Breeding/Health Strategy Documents, below)
- Population-level statistics (see, e.g., Swedish Insurance Data, below)
- Research articles
- Breed club surveys
Breed-specific information on rates of disease and death from Agria Pet Insurance (Agria Djurförsäkring) is available for many breeds.
This breed has information on Veterinary Care and Life Insurance.
Click here to view downloads - Malinois 2006-2011
- Malinois Agria Breed Profile 2011-2016
- The Kennel Club, UK: Breed Watch (Category 1)
- Netherlands: Verenigingsfokreglement Nederlandse Herdershonden Club voor het ras: Hollandse Herdershond: https://www.hollandseherder.nl/documenten/publiek/VFR_NHC_2021.pdf
- Sweden: Breed-specific Breeding Strategies: (in Swedish) and/ or English summary
- Finland: JTO Belgianpaimenkoira malinois
- US: OFA: Recommended health screening: https://www.ofa.org/recommended-tests?breed=BM
The Malinois /ˈmælɨnwɑː/ is a medium to large breed of dog, sometimes classified as a variety of the Belgian Shepherd Dog rather than as a separate breed. It is named after the Belgian city of Malines, where the breed originated. Its name is the French word for Mechlinian, which in Dutch is either Mechelse herder or Mechelaar (one from Mechelen).
NOTE: The Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI) describes the Malinois, together with the Groenendael, the Laekenois, and the Tervueren, as varieties of the Belgian Shepherd dog breed. The American Kennel Club, however, officially recognizes the Belgian Malinois, the Belgian Sheepdog (FCI: Groenendael), the Belgian Laekenois (FCI: Laekenois), and the Belgian Tervuren (FCI: Tervueren) as four distinct breeds.
Links to Breed Descriptions
Belgisk vallhund Domarkompendium
AKC Video (link - https://youtu.be/a2nxGTZNKCE😞
View more videos on AKC's YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanKennelClub
SCC Video (link - https://youtu.be/kxT6f9eXhdw😞
View more videos on SCC's YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKR90_uWp8dUNpGTfQ_y_Zw
Other Names for Breed
Country of Origin and Parent Breed Club
Country of origin: Belgium
Health and Well-Being
Some sources of health information include:
Some sources of health information include:
See the ABMC's Judges Education page for resources - https://www.malinoisclub.com/abmc/about-abmc/abmc-committees/judges-education/
AKC’s Judges Education Web Seminar “Comparison of Belgian Breeds 05/15/2020” Four noted AKC Belgian judges discuss the Belgian Sheepdog, Tervuren, and Malinois. View this two-hour video by requesting free access from:
Access links to 2 versions of their outstanding Judges Education Presentation!
Get a GRIHP! on Belgian Shepherds
This article on Belgian Shepherds is part of a series to highlight the Big Picture of health, welfare and breeding and to help develop Globally Relevant Integrated Health Profiles (GRIHPs) for many breeds. See IPFD's Get a GRIHP! on Breed Health Initiative
This article is an overview of the Belgian Shepherd Dog varieties. A variety-specific analysis for the Malinois is available as a PDF.
There are numerous breed standards.
The basis of breed/conformation shows is the judging of pedigree dogs against the 'Breed Standard', which is a picture in words that describes the range of features that are deemed appropriate for the breed.
Three of the major international standards are:
1. Swedish Insurance Data
2. Finland: Koiranet: https://jalostus.kennelliitto.fi/frmEtusivu.aspx?R=15.3
3. International: Database of Belgian Shepherds: http://belgi.pl/pedigree/
4. ZooEasy - The database used by: Breed clubs - Netherlands: Belgische Herder Club Nederland: http://www.belgischeherder.nl/ and Nederlandse Vereniging voor Belgische Herdershonden: http://www.nvbh.eu/
Breeding/Health Strategy Documents
Health/Breeding Strategy Documents and Links:
Breed-Specific DNA Tests:
Gurtner, C., Hug, P., Kleiter, M., Köhler, K., Dietschi, E., Jagannathan, V., & Leeb, T. (2020). YARS2 Missense Variant in Belgian Shepherd Dogs with Cardiomyopathy and Juvenile Mortality. Genes, 11(3), 313. https://doi.org/10.3390/genes11030313
See SRSH • KMSH Belgian Royal Canine Society for breeding recommendations: https://www.kmsh.be/fr/cardiomyopathie-et-mortalite-juvenile-chez-le-berger-belge
We are listing sites for breed clubs with health or other information that might be helpful. Follow links below.
International: Fédération Mondiale du Berger Belge: https://www.fmbb.be/
Belgium: Royal Union of Belgian Sheepdogs Clubs vzw: https://kucbh.be/
Netherlands: Belgische Herder Club Nederland: http://www.belgischeherder.nl/
Nederlandse Vereniging voor Belgische Herdershonden: http://www.nvbh.eu/
Finland: Belgianpaimenkoirayhdistys: http://www.finbelge.fi/
Sweden: Rasklubben För Belgiska Vallhundar: http://www.afbv.se/
US: American Belgian Malinois Club: https://www.malinoisclub.com/abmc/
UK: Belgian Shepherd Dog Association of Great Britain: https://www.bsdaofgb.co.uk/
The Working Belgian Shepherd Dog Society: https://www.wbsds.org.uk/
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.