- National kennel clubs and breed clubs (see, e.g. Breeding/Health Strategy Documents, below)
- Population-level statistics (see, e.g., Swedish Insurance Data, below)
- Research articles
- Breed club surveys
- Breed-specific information on rates of disease and death from Agria Pet Insurance (Agria Djurförsäkring) is available for many breeds.
- The Kennel Club, UK: Breed Watch (Category 1)
- Sweden: Breed-specific Breeding Strategies: (in Swedish) and/ or English summary
- Finland: https://jalostus.kennelliitto.fi/frmEtusivu.aspx?Lang=en&R=153
- The Kennel Club Population analysis of the Dalmatian breed: DALMATIAN.pdf
- US: CHIC: http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=DM
- Dalmatian Club of America Health Survey Information
- North of England Dalmatian Club: NoEDC Breed Health Survey
- Finland: https://www.findal.net/rotuinfo/terveys/
- H_W_Comm_Report_to_AKC_April_30__2010 - This memorandum contains: 1) Comments from the AKC Health and Welfare Advisory Panel; 2) Mars Veterinary Report: Interim genetic analysis of selected backcross Dalmatians using principle component analysis. (Internal: H_W_Comm_Report_to_AKC_April_30__2010.pdf)
The Dalmatian is a large breed of dog noted for its unique black or liver spotted coat and was mainly used as a carriage dog in its early days.
Links to Breed Descriptions
Hrvatski kinološki savez • Croatian Kennel Club - Illustrated Breed Standard
from... F.C.I.'s Breed-specific education: http://www.fci.be/en/Nomenclature/educationGroupe.aspx
Dalmatian Club of America: A Judge's Guide for The Dalmatian: http://www.thedca.org/JudgesEd/AJudgesGuideforDalmatiansV8.pdf
View more videos on AKC's YouTube Channel
See: The German Kennel Club (VDH) for information and video (if available).
(Hint: your browser should be able to Translate to English, at least for text (e.g., right click in Google Chrome or Internet Explorer).)
This and other breed videos are available in full length here
Other Names for Breed
Country of Origin and Parent Breed Club
HRVATSKA UDRUGA DALMATINSKIH PASA ATILA DUBAC – ZAGREB: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dalmatinskipasnet
Health and Well-Being
Some sources of health information include:
Some sources of health information include:
Get a GRIHP! on Dalmatians
This article on Dalmatians is part of a series to highlight the Big Picture of health, welfare and breeding and to help develop Globally Relevant Integrated Health Profiles (GRIHPs) for many breeds. See IPFD's Get a GRIHP! on Breed Health Initiative.
There are numerous breed standards.
The basis of breed/conformation shows is the judging of pedigree dogs against the 'Breed Standard', which is a picture in words that describes the range of features that are deemed appropriate for the breed.
Three of the major international standards are:
1. Swedish Insurance Data
Breeding/Health Strategy Documents
Health/Breeding Strategy Documents and Links:
Breed Health Surveys:
Health Reporting -- ARDS
ARDS tilanne 2002
Breed-Specific DNA Tests:
Other Breed-Specific Webpages
LUA Dalmatians World - Low Uric Acid (LUA) Dalmatians
LUA Dalmatians: Publications/ Articles
An independent review of the Dalmatian Backcross Project conducted by Irvin B. Kruckenkamp MD, Dalmatian Club of America Foundation
Report to the AKC Board of Directors from the American Kennel Club Health and Welfare Advisory Panel
Molecular Genetic Analysis of Backcross Dalmatians Compared to AKC Dalmatians, UK Dalmatians, Pointers, and Other Breeds
AKC ACCEPTS LUA DALMATIANS (2011)
DALMATIAN CLUB OF AMERICA FOUNDATION: Health Research
The Spotter: The Official Online and Printed Dalmatian Club of America Magazine
Dalmatian sequence from Pedigree Dogs Exposed: The Sequel from Jemima Harrison on Vimeo.
Dalmatian sequence from Pedigree Dogs Exposed_ The Sequel.mp4
University of Helsinki researchers have uncovered a novel gene associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in dogs.
ANLN truncation causes a familial fatal acute respiratory distress syndrome in Dalmatian dogs... published on 21 February 2017 in the PLOS GENETICS journal
4th IDHW Poster -- Genomics of deafness in the Dalmatian
Claire Wade, Simone Carter, Lillian Brancalion, Bianca Haase, Georgina Child
Faculty of Science, University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Congenital Sensorineural Deafness in Dalmatian Dogs Associated with Quantitative Trait Loci (2013) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3851758/
See UFAW's information on Dalmatian deafness
See OFA's information on congenital deafness
We are listing sites for breed clubs with health or other information that might be helpful. Follow links below.
World Association for Dalmatians: (WAFDAL) http://wafdal.org/index.php/de/
WAFDAL Clubs and Members: http://wafdal.org/index.php/de/about-wafdal/members
Canada: Dalmatian Club of Canada
UK: British Dalmatian Club
USA: Dalmatian Club of America
Finland: Dalmatiankoirat - Dalmatinerna ry
Sweden: Svenska Dalmatiner-Sällskapet
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.