Health/Breeding Strategy Documents and Links:
The Kennel Club, UK: Breed Watch, Category 3: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/watch/display.aspx?breed=6162
Sweden: Breed-specific Breeding Strategies: (in Swedish) and/ or English summary
Breed Specific Instructions [BSI] (Nordic Countries)
Pekingese – brachycephalic and chondrodystrophic type
The special conformation of this breed by the shortened skull, overly short bridge of nose and jaws may cause health problems if exaggerated.
Areas of risk are related to exaggerated dwarfism, brachycephaly and chondrodystrophy:
1. Breathing: Problems caused by narrow and insufficient room in general air passages: pharyngeal cavities and/or ribcage and/or pinched nostrils.
2. Eyes: Protruding eyes which increase the risk for injuries.
3. Nose wrinkle: Overhanging nose wrinkle obstructing nostrils and can also cause inflammation.
4. General construction: Weak with poor ribcage, short sternal bone and bad muscle condition.
5. Coat: Coat which can be too profuse and/or woolly and cause discomfort. The standard reads “Length and volume of coat should neither impair the activity of the dog nor obscure the shapeliness of body. Excessive coat must be heavily penalized.”
“All signs of respiratory distress are unacceptable and should be heavily penalized”. Breathing shall be assessed with dog in action. Untypical/unsound movement must not be confused with “Typically slow, dignified rolling gait in front”.
“Any signs of inability to move soundly are unacceptable and should be heavily penalized”.
UK: The Pekingese Club (UK) Peke Health Assessment (Blank form)
Document used to create Health Assessment (The Kennel Club)
UK: Pekingese Health
The Site of the Pekingese Health Coordinators
Survey design and other links that explain the 2010 Survey, includes a link to the online survey. Helpful information for breed health coordinators as to survey development!
We are listing sites for breed clubs with health or other information that might be helpful. Follow links below.
UK: The Pekingese Club http://www.thepekingeseclub.co.uk/index.html
UK: Kennel Club - Breed Clubs listing http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findaclub/breed/list.aspx?id=6162
US: The Pekingese Club of America http://thepekingeseclubofamerica.net/
Sweden: Pekingeselogen http://www.pekingeselogen.com/
Finland: Suomen Pekingesikerho - Finska Pekingeserklubben ry: http://www.pekingesikerho.com/
France: CLUB DU PEKINOIS ET DU JAPONAIS http://clubpekinoisjaponais.com/
A Breed Standard Flipbook is available.
Click on the Entrée Pekinois on the Homepage to access historical and other breed-specific information, in French.
The Flipbook contains illustrations and other helpful information!