- National kennel clubs and breed clubs (see, e.g. Breeding/Health Strategy Documents, below)
- Population-level statistics (see, e.g., Swedish Insurance Data, below)
- Research articles
- Breed club surveys
- Breed-specific information on rates of disease and death from Agria Pet Insurance (Agria Djurförsäkring) is available for many breeds. This breed has information on Veterinary Care and Life Insurance.
- The Kennel Club, UK: Breed Watch (Category 1)
- Sweden: Breed-specific Breeding Strategies: (in Swedish) and/ or English summary
- Finland: JTO: Jalostuksen tavoiteohjelma 2022-2026 Englanninvinttikoira
- US: CHIC Greyhound: http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=GH
- Norway: Breeding Strategy: Rasespesifikk avlsstrategi for Greyhound: http://greyhoundklubben.no/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/RASGreyhound.pdf
- Study investigating the factors influencing bloating and the development and outcome of GDV in Greyhounds in the UK
- A Deletion in the N-Myc Downstream Regulated Gene 1 (NDRG1) Gene in Greyhounds with Polyneuropathy
The Greyhound is a very old European breed of dog, a sighthound which has been historically bred for coursing game and latterly Greyhound racing.
Links to Breed Descriptions
AKC Video (link - https://youtu.be/-W7C8U8ZjWk😞
View more videos on AKC's YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanKennelClub
Other Names for Breed
Country of Origin and Parent Breed Club
Country of origin: Great Britain
Health and Well-Being
Some sources of health information include:
Some sources of health information include:
How Greyhounds Conquered the World (AKC)
By: Bud Boccone
Demystifying NGA and AKC Greyhound Breed Standards
(Racing/Show greyhounds podcast)
Coefficient of Inbreeding vs. Genetic Diversity Level in Greyhounds
Coefficient of Inbreeding vs. Genetic Diversity Level in Greyhounds-update_2019.pdf
IPFD Board member, Barbara Thiel shared an English translation of this article which appeared in The Greyhound Show blog. The article includes a discussion of data available from the MyDogDNA on genetic diversity measurements in greyhounds - greyhound breeders are encouraged to read this document to gain perspective.
There are numerous breed standards.
The basis of breed/conformation shows is the judging of pedigree dogs against the 'Breed Standard', which is a picture in words that describes the range of features that are deemed appropriate for the breed.
Three of the major international standards are:
1. Swedish Insurance Data
Breeding/Health Strategy Documents
Health/Breeding Strategy Documents and Links:
Health Surveys | Reports
Greyhound Club of America: Greyhound Health Registry: http://www.greyhoundclubofamericainc.org/health-registry/
UK: The Greyhound Club: Health: http://www.thegreyhoundclubuk.co.uk/health/
9/3/2022 - Results of the International Greyhound Health Survey
"Between February 2019 and June 2021, a health survey was run, initially initiated by the German Sighthound Association (DWZRV)... In February 2022, the same questionnaire was additionally published in French and English, so that Greyhound owners from Norway, the USA, Sweden, Slovenia, Italy, Great Britain, Canada, Finland, France, Australia, Ireland, the Netherlands and Guadeloupe also participated. The German questionnaire yielded the highest response rate with 205 entries, the English 99 and the French 55." Common causes of death and common diseases were reported.
Breed-Specific DNA Tests:
Other Breed-Specific Webpages
Greyhound World Congress 2017
See a followup post...
Greyhound Neuropathy - The Kennel Club
Greyhound Neuropathy FAQ (English)
Dr. med. vet. Barbara Keßler
Institute for Molecular Animal Breeding and Biotechnology
Actual challenges in breeding show type Greyhounds
Dr. med. vet. Barbara Keßler, (scientist at the Chair for Molecular Animal Breeding and Biotechnology Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich)
Coefficient of Inbreeding vs. Genetic Diversity Level in Greyhound
Greyhound Neuropathy - what lessons to learn?
Neuropathy in the Greyhound
Institute of Genetics | University of Bern
Cord Drögemüller, Doreen Becker, Barbara Kessler, Elisabeth Kemter, Jens Tetens, Konrad Jurina, Karin Hultin Jäderlund, Annette Flagstad, Michele Perloski, Kerstin Lindblad-Toh, Kaspar Matiasek
We are listing sites for breed clubs with health or other information that might be helpful. Follow links below.
US: The Greyhound Club of America: http://www.greyhoundclubofamericainc.org/
Finland: Suomen Greyhoundyhdistys ry: http://www.greyhoundyhdistys.fi/
UK: Greyhound Club: http://www.thegreyhoundclubuk.co.uk/
Norway: Norsk Greyhound Klubb: http://greyhoundklubben.no/
Germany: Deutscher Windhundzucht- und Rennverband e.V.: https://www.windhundverband.de/rassen/greyhound/
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.